The Company Behind the LED Grow Light:
Apollo Horticulture provides tools and equipment to support the “art” of growing plants. Apollo Horticulture is an online company that provides all of its product and services in cyberspace. There is not a bricks and mortar building from which Apollo Horticulture does business, but Apollo Horticulture believes that product evolution can happen more efficiently in cyberspace. The company provides products such as grow lights, grow tents and other products that support the process of growing plants. Apollo reports that their products are from some of the same manufacturers that produce some of the more expensive hydroponic equipment on the market. The company aims to gain ground on the competition by being better at developing customer relationships, providing exceptional service, and developing better hydroponic equipment. Apollo seeks to offer high end growing equipment, all while seeking to keep costs lower. Apollo boasts that it is environment friendly as it works to reduce the carbon footprint left behind by its products. Apollo Horticulture aims to provide high performing products that are economically friendly while maintaining affordability. The listed contact address for Apollo Horticulture is 19745 E Colima Rd. #1-895 Rowland Heights, CA 91748.
This LED grow light review was designed to support you in your search of finding the best LED grow light on the market. It is comprehensive and part of a larger whole that lists all of the top LED grow lights available.
The LED Grow Light Product:
One goal for Apollo Horticulture is to provide an LED grow light product that promotes healthy plant growth which utilizes innovated technology that is user friendly. As with many LED grow lights, the Apollo grow light does not require the user to utilize ballasts, and the grow light itself does not produce excessive levels of heat. This allows the grower to have the LED grow light in closer proximity to the plant canopy and is therefore able to promote plant growth in smaller spaces. This is a bonus for indoor growers that have battled to control heat and humidity in a controlled indoor grow environment. The Apollo grow light incorporates full spectrum light to excite the photosynthetic process throughout the plant’s growth cycle. The Apollo grow light is suitable for indoor grow rooms, grow tents, greenhouses and most hydroponic grow scenarios. Apollo Horticulture has LED panels, UFOs and LED COBs. This review will focus on the 300W LED Panel from Apollo.
3W LED Chips:
The chips utilized in the Apollo LED products are Epistar. Epistar is a global supplier of LED products. Founded in 1996, the Epistar corporation is located in Hsin-chu Industrial Park in Taiwan. The corporation is the largest manufacturer of LEDs in Taiwan. Epistar integrates LED applications into cell phones, laptops, televisions and products utilized in horticulture. Researchers at Epistar work on ways to increase chip efficiency which will reduce costs associated with the technology. Epistar is a world leader in red and yellow LED manufacturing. It is a large corporation that has almost two decades of research under its belt associated with products it manufacturers. Their chip research has led to increased product efficiency which can translate into reduced heat output and a longer lifespan.
300W LED Grow Light Panel Specifications per Apollo Horticulture:
- Wattage – 300W
- Chips – 100-3W
- Actual Power Draw – 170W
- Chips – 3W Epistar
- Dimensions – 15.75″ x 8.2″ x 2.5″
- Coverage Area 4′ x 4′, 16 Square Feet
- Beam Angle – 120 Degrees
- Spectrum – 6 Band
- Phases of Growth – Vegetative and Flowering
- Vegetated Coverage Area – 6-7 ft²
- Flowering Coverage Area – 5-6 ft²
- Lifespan – 50,000 hours
- Working Temperature – 0 – 131 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Cooling – 3 Quiet Cooling Fans
- Power Cord – Included
- Hanging Kit – Stainless Steel
Specific Wavelengths of 6 Band Spectrum:
430nm – 475nm – 620nm – 630nm – 660nm – 730nm
The 6 band spectrum allows this LED grow light product to provide the essential light recipe needed for multiple portions of plant grow stages. The wavelengths produced by the Apollo LEDs fall within the photosynthetically active radiation range The wavelengths range from blue to red light which covers the range necessary to optimize aspects of plant photosynthesis. The wavelengths between the 430nm and 475nm range mark the beginning of the chlorophyll absorption process. This range of the spectrum is in the blue light range and it helps to maximize photosynthesis during the vegetative grow stages of the plant. The wavelength ranges that begin at 620nm and end at 730nm mostly fall within the visible spectrum red light range. Red light works to maximize chlorophyll absorption to support flowering. The 6 band spectrum is devised to supplement the type of light that plants need most to optimize a growers outcomes.
Apollo Horticulture products come with a limited 2 year warranty. The grower needs to keep the operating manual along with the original receipt, as well as the product itself, in order for the warranty to be viable. Apollo Horticulture does have a warranty department that deals with customer questions and concerns. The warranty department e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Price – Considering the product and comparable products, the price point is relatively inexpensive
- Light Spectrum – Includes ranges that cover the PAR range the plants need most
- Size – Generally small and able to fit in to small grow room spaces
- Lifespan – rated to run for 50,000 hours
- Wattage – a 300W product listed at a relatively inexpensive price
- Warranty – product comes with a limited 2 year warranty
- Installation is relatively easy. The product comes with a stainless steel hanging kit that is fairly easy to install. One can be up and running soon after opening the box.
- After initial turn-on, many growers report that the light is surprisingly bright. A grow tent could be utilized to capture the light depending on the environment. I have always worn protective eye ware, but one should note that many sunglasses are rated for UV protection. UV rays fall under the 400nm rating and the wavelengths being emitted by the grow light are above this range. Note that there are protective glasses rated to shield wavelengths above 400nm.
- It should be noted that the actual power draw of this device is listed at 170W. Apollo Horticulture is up front with this information whereas some other suppliers might not be as transparent. Although the unit is listed as a 300W panel, the actual power draw is 170W. This enables the device to produce less heat and have an extended lifespan. Some growers however may not note the actual power draw of the device when deciding to purchase the unit.
- The fans are relatively quiet, but are not silent. As with many LED units, there will be minor ambient sound stemming from the fan system that is internal in the product. The sound is similar to the sound made by the fan that will occasionally kick on in your computer tower or laptop.
It seems to be a pattern how surprised many product owners were with the overall brightness of the Apollo 300W LED grow light product. Most report that light shields or glasses are necessary when working around the light. Heat output is low and although the device gets warm to the touch, it is reported that it does not get hot. Low heat creation helps in tight spaces and also significantly minimizes any potential fire hazard. Growers are generally reporting that the unit works well, but light coverage area has varied for individual users. The optimal grow light coverage area always depends on an individual’s grow room set-up. The height that one hangs the light and the format of the plants beneath it will have an affect on grow light coverage area and plant growth outcomes also. Some growers were disappointed with the power draw of the unit. Keep in mind that although the unit is listed as a 300W panel, its listed actual power draw is 170W. Some reviewers have measured the actual power draw at below the listed 170 power draw. Some owners were initially unaware that the actual power draw for the Apollo 300W light is actually lower than 300W.
The Apollo LED grow light allows the grower to tune in to the appropriate light wavelengths that optimize plant growth. Specifically, the wavelengths in the Apollo’s 6 band focus fall within the red and blue light ranges which have been shown by numerous research studies to be the most effective at supporting the process of photosynthesis. A grower can expect successful grow outcomes as a result.
The Apollo LED grow light is energy efficient. It wastes less energy and wastes less light than its HID counterparts. As a result, over a period of time, the Apollo 300W panel can be quite cost effective for the indoor grower.
The Apollo LED grow light can not only save a grower money due to energy efficiency, but it can save a grower money up front as well. The cost of the Apollo 300W panel is relatively inexpensive. At $133.95 for the unit, it is less expensive than many other comparable grow lights in its class.
Apollo Horticulture offers a limited time warranty. Not all LED grow light suppliers offer a warranty and so this is a plus. A warranty as an option allows a grower to feel a bit more confident before making a purchase.
Buyers should also keep in mind that although one can save a few bucks by purchasing a used product, it is often hard to determine what will end up at your doorstep. Buying used opens one up to the possibility of buying something that has been damaged or altered in some way. Keep in mind that a buyer will be unable to fall back on a warranty in most cases when purchasing used.
I hope that the information in this post, and on this site helps you to make an educated decision. This LED grow light review was created to support you in your search of finding a top LED grow light. Finding the best LED grow light is a process of finding the LED grow light that suits your individual needs best. I hope this review helps you to make that informed decision. It’s time to grow big, or grow home!